February 7, 2013

#43 Recreational Reading Recommendations

As a new college student, it's easy to talk about things that are different about high school versus college. At this point, high school is all I have to compare it to, so often it happens to me that I'll think "Wow, it wasn't like this in high school," or "I miss that in high school we didn't have to..." and fill in the blank with whatever crazy thing (or what I think is a crazy thing) is happening to me at the moment. Now for instance, I'm doubting whether or not I should even be writing this, seeing as I have five tests in the next seven days, so should I really be taking the time to write this blog instead of finishing up my history reading and attempting to figure out what the professor might ask me on the test? Probably not, but here I am doing it anyway. Point is, I've realized that one of the things I most took for granted in high school was free time. Back then, my free time was spent figuring out what to do to avoid being bored and wishing I didn't have free time. Looking back, I could kick myself for not taking advantage of it. There are times in college where literally all I want to do is sit and do nothing. Often that's what I do after I take a shower. Get out, put on my white fluffy robe, and just sit on my bed for ten minutes doing absolutely nothing.

Mostly I miss the days where I could just sit around and read. I mean the reading that had nothing to do with school--when it was just for fun. Not that reading case studies of Microsoft in 2005 and Apple in 2010 and the 13 colonies and macroeconomic theory isn't fun...I mean of course it is... But the kind of reading that requires no thought. The kind that causes an inner conflict because you want to finish a book to find out what happens, but at the same time you don't want to finish because you don't want it to be over. The kind that makes you want to stay up until 2 AM. The kind that makes reading all you want to do, and when you're not reading, you're thinking about reading. I miss that.

Once this series of tests is behind me, I plan on starting a new recreation book. I really believe that a book is one of the best forms of escape, and I know I'll need that after these coming days. Even though I won't be able to read it at the speed that I read books in high school, I still think it'll be just as worth it, if not more. Of course, I encourage you all to do the same! I know reading isn't for everyone, but for those who do enjoy it, below is a list of books that I recommend, all of which were the kind of books that I described before, the kind that you want to finish and don't want to finish at the same time. In my opinion, the best kind of books! Happy reading!


1. Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote 2. The Pact by Jodi Picoult / 3. A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks / 4. The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham / 5. Where We Belong by Emily Giffin / 6. The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud by Ben Sherwood / 7. The Pursuit of Happyness by Chris Gardner / 8. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini 

Clearly I have a thing for books with movie adaptations, even though the movies never live up to the books! I encourage you all to read the books even if you've already seen their movies!

What do you like to read for fun?
Morgan


No comments:

Post a Comment