February 12, 2013

#44 Things My Friends Are Doing: Elizabeth

Today, I would like you all to meet one of my best friends in the world, Elizabeth. She truly is one of the most beautiful people that I know, both on the inside and outside. She's always been there to listen to my struggles, whether they be tiny or enormous, seemingly trivial or actually important. She is also one of the strongest people I know. She's been through things that most people can only imagine, myself included, but always manages to come out on the other side an even more amazing Elizabeth. I'm constantly awed at her ability to see past small troubles and find good in any situation. Because of this, she is completely unafraid of anything and is very good at convincing others that they shouldn't be afraid either. I don't have enough fingers to count the number of funks she's helped me get out of, because she's one of those people who can make you feel better about yourself, which I think is the most admirable quality in a person. And Elizabeth, to you personally, I can't tell you how much it means to me that we've gotten so close this year. Seems ironic that we're closer now that we live apart, but I guess absence really does make the heart grow fonder. I'm so lucky to call you one of my best friends! And of course, I can't wait to see you this weekend. I'm literally counting down the hours.

Oh and did I mention that I think she's absolutely hilarious? Because she is. But I think I'll let her prove that to you herself. And without further ado, I bring you all the first in my "Things My Friends Are Doing" series featuring Elizabeth!

Six months ago I moved 1,051 miles away from home to Lawrence, Kansas to attend the University of Kansas. Whenever people hear me say that, the first thing they always ask is “What, why Kansas?” And I know the first thing that probably comes to mind when you hear the word ‘Kansas’ is probably something along the lines of Dorothy, Toto, farms, or wheat. Fortunately though, if that’s what you think of, you’re wrong! So, in accordance with the title of this blog, I’m going to tell you just what I’ve been doing for the past 6 months!

Moving to college was a big adjustment for me. Not only was I moving 1,051 miles away from home but I was also moving to a school of 30,000 people where I didn’t know a single person, not even my roommate! When it was actually happening it was probably one of the scariest things I’ve ever gone through. But I’m rambling now and this blog isn’t about what I’ve done, it’s about what I’m doing!


I’m now about a month into my second semester and I am completely in love with my new life 1,051 miles away from home. I live on a floor of 29 extremely loud girls, none of which are super partial to wearing clothes. They are also 29 of my best friends. My roommate is basically my best friend/Siamese twin. It’s still wild to me that we only met 6 months ago because we have become so incredibly close. I live in an amazing cultural hippie-town where there’s always something to do or somewhere to go. Oh, and I also got a part time job at a bakery which has been a lot of fun!


Actually, as I write this I’m lying in bed in my 4x4 square of a dorm room with throbbing legs because I just spent the last four hours jumping up and down and damaging my vocal cords at the K-State/KU basketball game. In case any of you all live under a rock, KU is pretty well known for their basketball program. Okay, that was my attempt at being modest. To put it bluntly, we kick ass. Actually, basketball is what has probably made me fall in love with my school more than anything else. The energy and atmosphere in Allen Field House is absolutely indescribable and it always amazes me how a school of 30,000 can feel so united under the Fieldhouse roof.


Something I found out really quickly after I moved here is that if you open yourself up to new situations and people, good things will come to you. Moving 18 hours away from home into a different world was incredibly scary but has turned out to be the best decision I’ve ever made. For me, moving to a new school came with the opportunity to meet new people, make new, amazing friends, and hey, the boy selection isn’t all that bad either!


So there you have it! A week in the life of Elizabeth looks something like class, work, gym, homework, basketball games and the occasional “Wait what did I do last night?” wakeup on Sunday morning. 


All in all I wouldn't change a thing. I mean yeah, my school is far away, really big, (and really cold), but I am in love with every part of it. When I moved here I had to put myself out there in order to make friends and as a result I have met more amazing people that I could've ever dreamed possible. So in the end, even though I don't have Whataburger, even though sometimes I wake up and the temperature outside is lower than my age, and even though I miss all my wonderful friends and family back home in Texas, Lawrence is my new home and I wouldn't have it any other way.




Stay tuned for more of my friends to be featured in the series! Let me know your thoughts! And a big thank you to Elizabeth for taking the time to write for me.
Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment