February 24, 2013

#48 And the Oscar Goes To...

It's that time of year again, the time of year for the most glamourous and highly anticipated day in all of Hollywood. Yes, it's Oscar day ladies and gentlemen, actors and actresses, Academy members. A day in which true cinematic talent is recognized and fluke blockbusters are ignored (Here's looking at you Twilight). A day when we recognize that a movie is much more than just its lead actors. When finally directors, screenwriters, costume designers, and everyone else involved in the making of a movie is recognized for the efforts they put into the production and we realize that the movie would be nothing without them. A day when people realize that it's okay not to be a winner, because being an Academy Award nominee is an accomplishment in itself. Plus from that day on, they'll have "Oscar nominee" attached to their name, so how could that possibly be a bad thing?

It is a day when cinema is finally recognized for the art form that it is and that it deserves to be. Oh, and of course, a day when we see stars dressed to the nines. The Oscars is, after all, the Super Bowl of fashion. A fashion mecca, if you will. Some may argue that seeing what everyone is wearing is even better than the show. I must say watching the Oscars brings out the sassy fashion critic in me. And while I do not claim to be a fashion expert at all, I do think I have a concept of beautiful versus ugly! Remember Bjork's swan dress from 2001? Yeah me too. Who could possibly forget that?

To celebrate this great Oscar day, and of course in my attempt to avoid my homework as always, I've compiled a list of my favorites within The Academy's favorites: my favorite Best Picture, Best Actor, and Best Actress winners. I would've included some of my favorite Best Supporting Actors and Actresses, but I didn't want to make this too long! And though I did express that there are other important categories that are finally recognized on Oscar day aside from those I just mentioned, I can't pick favorites simply because I have no knowledge of their craft! Imagine me picking from the Best Producer category. In the words of Fat Amy, hmm better not.


And of course, I've included a picture collage of some of my favorite Oscar dresses of all time. No Oscar blog post would be complete without it!


(Top Row) Audrey Hepburn - Givenchy (1954), Cameron Diaz - Oscar de la Renta (2010), Anne Hathaway - Valentino (2009), Mila Kunis - Elie Saab (2011)
(Bottom Row) Michelle Williams - Vera Wang (2006), Sandra Bullock - Marchesa (2010), Amy Adams - Proenza Schouler (2008), Grace Kelly - (1956)

Now that I've shared with you some of my favorite things, à la the great Julie Andrews (who, ironically enough, won a Best Actress award herself!), I can't wait to see what this year has in store! 

Happy Oscars!
Morgan 



No comments:

Post a Comment