October 22, 2012

#34 Tom Landry Said It Best

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a huge football fan, and here in Texas, football is basically a religion. Legendary Dallas Cowboys coach Tom Landry said it best: "Football is to Texas what religion is to a priest." Here, everybody looks forward to the weekend because there's high school football on Friday, college football on Saturday, and NFL football on Sunday. My school cafeteria even makes football shaped and decorated cookies (pictured below). If that doesn't show how much this state loves football, I don't know what does. I'm not originally from Texas, but I've been here for almost ten years. Most of life has been spent here. My formative years were here, so I learned to love the game from being around people who love the game. Now I'm one of those people who is totally into football season and anxiously awaits football season when it isn't. Because of this, one of the things that excited me most about college was being able to go to all of the football games. UT's Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium is the sixth largest collegiate stadium with a seating capacity of over 100,000. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that? Going to games is probably one of my favorite parts of the college experience. There is nothing like being a part of all the energy in that stadium. Hearing the cheers of the crowd, seeing the marching band play, hearing the sound of the cannon go off when the Longhorns score, putting your horns up, getting excited when the team does something right, getting angry when they do something not so right, all of it is amazing. Every time I go, I think to myself how lucky I am to be a part of all of it, how lucky I am to be there. I was lucky enough to be present at the October 6th game against the West Virginia Mountaineers in which the attendance record at DKR was broken. 101,851 people. And I was one of them. Granted I was suffering through the cold weather and wind in the thinnest sweater I own, but I was there. There really is nothing better than football in Texas. And football in general. If you're not a fan, become one. It's not just a sport, it's a way of life. Seriously. And also, feel free to get me Cowboys or Texans tickets for Christmas! I won't get into my obsessive relationship with NFL football. I love it too much. But that's a whole other story for a whole other time!


No comments:

Post a Comment