December 31, 2012

#39 A 2012 Retrospective

There's something about New Year's Eve that makes everyone a little bit retrospective--or a lot retrospective in some cases. The prospect of a new year brings with it the thoughts of the year being left behind. It's impossible to move forward without acknowledging the past, and I think now is the time for me to do that! After seeing tons of Facebook statuses and tweets about 2012 in review, it's my turn to look back.

2012 was a big year for me. It was one full of ups and downs, old things and new things, and everything in between. As all of you know--partly because the majority of you were there with me--this year, I graduated from high school and began my college journey. That in and of itself is enough to constitute a big year. But more than those monumental life events, I'll remember the small things that happened this year too. I'll remember with clarity how much fun I had in the magenta-colored dress at senior cotillion in January in which my friends and I intentionally danced the opposite direction of the crowd during the line dances (yeah, yeah we line dance in Texas). I'll remember going on senior retreat in February...twice...the second time being far better than the first. I'll remember the stress I felt trying to finish the 2011-2012 yearbook for my school in March. Being an editor was certainly one of the most stressful experiences of my life. I'll remember April's senior prom that would be my last school dance and how much fun I had being with my friends for one of the classic high school experiences. Of course I'll remember wearing my Catholic school uniform for the last time and donning my red robe to  graduate from high school in May. Who could possibly forget that? I'll remember taking my first extended visit to college at orientation in June. I was probably more nervous for that than actually going to school, as weird as that sounds. I'll remember taking my last pre-college family vacation to California in July which gave me some much needed, uninterrupted family time in the midst of college preparations. I'll remember the whirlwind of a week in August that marked my last week in my hometown--a time spent staying up far too late and taking advantage of every possible moment with my friends, a time that will always stick out in my mind for more reasons than one. I'll remember September as the first full month I spent in my new home at school, making new friends and learning new things in class. I'll remember my ACL experience in October, something that is bound to become a tradition for me. I'll remember November for marking my first trip back home for Thanksgiving and how happy I was to see everyone. And I'll remember December for putting me through the stress of finals and giant relief of being done with them and making it to winter break. Of course there are plenty of other things I'll remember from the year, but those are the first that come to mind, which is bound to mean something.

Even more than actually remembering these specific events, I'll remember the lessons they taught me. I've learned to let loose and have fun, taking advantage of the time I have with the people that matter to me the most. To cherish family and friends always. That it's important to be open to new things and new people. Life is full of the new, and we have to get used to experiencing it. That we are not alone in anything we do, because there are always people around to support us. That there really is no place like home. That at the end of the day, we need to get over the bad in our lives and concentrate on the good. That it's important to cherish the good memories. That life goes on, regardless of how horrible you think it may be.

Clearly it's been a big year for me, and I want to thank you all for experiencing it with me. I started this blog in January of 2012, so you really have been with me the entire year, reading about my troubles, triumphs, and the advice I give. I can't claim to be an expert, but I can hope that I've reached someone this year. If not, that's okay, because this has been for me too. It's been a good year for me, and I only hope it has been for you too. My advice for today and for the new year is to look back with appreciation for the things that have happened in the past year and look forward with excitement and determination in the new year. Take the lessons of last year and bring them into the new year.

A goodbye to 2012, and a hello to 2013!


Wishing you a blessed new year, 
Morgan

1 comment:

  1. This was so empowering, I want to climb mountains and see the world. You raise me up morgan

    ReplyDelete