December 18, 2012

#37 When All Is Said and Done...Well For Now

Here we are, fellow first-year college students! It really is the end...of first semester that is. A semester full of news (in both the news as in "Wow I had no idea that happened!" and as in new things), full of highs from good grades, accomplishments, and an overall excitement to have gone off to college, and full of lows from, well, not so good grades and missing the people we left behind. As I sit here waiting for it to be time for the flight that will take me home fresh out of my doozy of an economics final, I can't help but be retrospective. I mean what else am I supposed to be doing? School is over and all of my stuff is packed, so why not go on a thought adventure? And while I know I've been utterly blog-negligent lately (even Facebook was kind enough to remind me yesterday that I hadn't posted anything lately and suggest that I post now), I'm back now. Here I am, crawling out from under all my books, notebooks, and notecards, ready to end this semester, this year, and start anew. But until the year starts anew, how about coming on a reflective journey with me?

In the spirit of "Things I Should've Done," I think it's appropriate to bring back the input post so I, and others of course, can see how you've come to see the college experience. So tell me, what is the most important thing you've learned about college thus far? 

"That family is everything and being separated from them makes you appreciate them a billion times more."

"Have fun with it. Everyone's going through the same stuff that you are. And don't go to college looking for your husband. Go to meet your bridesmaids. Study hard, but remember also that this is where you'll meet some of your greatest friends."

"To enjoy it. Don't over-stress or let little things get to you. Listen to your professors, make new memories, and spend time with your friends. Learn from new experiences and you'll realize that you're constantly learning more about yourself."

"Well first of all that I should study with about a week of anticipation. And that I shouldn't have taken my family for granted while I lived with them because it kind of sucks not having them around as much."

"I think just being true to yourself no matter what you're going through or how much stress you have to put up with or how much you miss home."

"Be open to new ideas, new things, and new people because [college] is the four years of your life filled with the most opportunity for experience. Don't shut anything or anyone out. Either that or don't start worrying about your GPA at the end of the semester."

"Don't be afraid to go out of your comfort zone and experience new things. You meet new people, have some great times, and get to see what all there is to do in college."

"You can do whatever you want, but you have to be willing to accept the fact that when you make a mistake there is no one else to blame but yourself. It's fun, but it teaches you how to have responsibility."

"I've learned that cafeteria food really does get old...fast."

As for me, I think the most important thing I've learned is that college isn't nearly as scary as I thought it was going to be. I'm sure all of you know how freaked out I was by the whole idea of moving away from everything I knew, but once I got over the initial shock, it became just as normal as everything else. I have friends, I have class, I have a routine--I got used to it. Sure I miss people from home and from time to time I wish I wasn't doing as much reading and studying as I have to do, but college is about growing up and learning to adapt in a new environment. Doing just that proved to be a lot easier than I expected, a fact that I was pleasantly surprised about. What have I learned? You get used to it, and you learn to love it.

With 45 minutes left until my flight departs home (granted by the time I post this I'll probably be at home, but you get the idea!), I can't help but look back with great happiness. I can tell I've learned so much already--scholastically and personally--and that makes me all the more excited to continue on the college journey. Though this is starting to have an element of finality, don't worry, I'll be back plenty of times throughout the holiday season and before I go back to school in January! For now, I'm going to shut my brain off and revel in the fact that I don't have to deal with finals anymore!


No comments:

Post a Comment