March 8, 2012

#16 Told Them What They Mean to Me

You know, they always say that we should never take things for granted in this life. We're only given so much time on this earth, and we should cherish everything and every person that we are blessed enough to have in our lives. Of course this is true. I would be lying if I said I didn't believe it. We have to take every opportunity to tell the people in our lives how much we love them and how much we appreciate them. Even the people we don't like are there for a reason. Think of the people you don't like as foil characters in the story of your life (shout-out to all my English teachers) who are there to make you the best possible version of yourself. Every person you are ever around has shaped you in some way. I mean, is there really such a thing as being original? Is who you say you are really you? They say you are the combination of the five people you're around the most. So are you really you or are you the people around you? Even though all of us would like to think we're a completely new person, I don't think we are. If I can't be totally unique, I'd like to think that I've taken the best of people. I'm happy having my mother's eyes and my father's sense of humor. My best friend's passion, my favorite teacher's heart, my sister's energy. If we really are the product of our environment, let's at least try to make it a good one. Tell the people who have shaped you how much they mean to you. Don't take them for granted. My suggestion to you on how to do this is to write a letter. For my 18th birthday, the people closest to me wrote me letters that did just that. It was the best gift I could've ever received. Sometimes it's a saving grace to know that you are loved and that someone thinks you're important. Give that gift to someone. And it doesn't have to be in the form of a letter. Write them a Facebook wall post (or whatever they're calling it right now. It seems to change a lot...), mention them on Twitter, hire one of those plane writers, or maybe even just tell them face to face. Whatever works. Let someone know they're important to you. It really is the best gift you can give someone. In order to put this suggestion into practice, I'm going to write a letter below that tells someone how much they mean to me.

Dear Amanda Rae, 


I don't know if I've ever told you this, but you really do mean a lot to me as a friend. We see each other everyday and we talk all the time, but I don't think I've ever expressed to you (adequately, at least) how much I value the friendship we have. It means the world to me that you really are there for me no matter what. I know I can always come to you with anything - whether it be news that probably shouldn't be considered news since I think everything is a bigger deal than it is, or if I'm just complaining about something, or if I just want a friend to talk to. You're always there to listen to my "news" and share in the excitement or disappointment. You're always there to listen to me complain about the silliest things. You're always there when I need you. You've been one of my biggest supporters in more ways than one, and I really can't thank you enough for that. I've always admired your spirit. You are one of the kindest hearts I know and I've always wished I was more like that. You've taught me that there is something to be said for mild-mannered people. I know plenty of people with big personalities, and I admire you for being different. Not to mention the fact that you're beautiful. Inside and out. And while we may be on different paths for our futures, I know our paths will cross plenty of times. You're one of the best friends I have, and I'm sorry that I've never told you that before. I hope this makes up for it. Stay beautiful lovely.


Love always, 


Morgan


Don't take people for granted - tell them what they mean to you. Simple as that.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this. I want to write a letter to all my family members but was wondering where to start. Your letter has helped me get started with that and given me some ideas of what to write.

    ReplyDelete