January 17, 2012

#4 Had a Picnic

Picture this. You're with your best friends in the entire world and you go to a park. It's the most picturesque park you could possibly think of. Your friend is carrying a classic woven basket. You guys are all laughing and having a good time, just enjoying being with each other. You guys finally decide on a spot - one that will look good in the pictures you plan on taking - and your friend carrying the basket sets it down. She opens the basket and gets out a red and white checkered blanket that you guys are going to sit on. Smiles on your faces, you sit down and your friend begins getting everything out of the basket - the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, the strawberries, the lemonade, the homemade chocolate chip cookies. You look around at your friends and think of how lucky you are to be at this place. Now think about this. Your boyfriend says he wants to surprise you. He puts a blindfold over your eyes and ties it tight. You ask him what's going on. He says to trust him. You say okay with a smile on your face. He leads you to a grassy area and tells you to take off your blindfold. Sitting before you is a beautiful picnic. The kind that only shows up in the movies or on TV. You can't help but think to yourself how lucky you are. Think about it. The picnic is pretty much an icon to Americans. Think about it. Every picture you've ever seen of people having a picnic depicts the epitome of happiness. I know I've never seen someone on a picnic who's unhappy. So why have I never done it? I couldn't tell you, but it's definitely something I wish I would've done whether it be with a boy or with my best friends. Sure, I've eaten outside, but you and I both know it's not the same. I want the classic picnic scene. I want the movie picnic. I want the TV picnic. I want the happiness and pure joy of something so simple as eating outside on that checkered blanket with my best friends. Though I've never had this experience before, I hope it's one that I will have in the future. I encourage you all to find happiness in the simple pleasures of life. Go on a picnic. Enjoy the sunlight. Soak up that Vitamin D. If it starts to rain, that's okay too. Perfect opportunity to run around in the rain! Just have a picnic. Find your friends, put on your best sundress and sunglasses, pack a basket, and go.


"There are few things so pleasant as a picnic eaten in perfect comfort."
-W. Somerset Maugham

No comments:

Post a Comment