May 14, 2013

#61 Summer Kickoff

In honor of the beginning of summer, the completion of my first year of college, and the success of having not been overcome by the infamous Freshman Fifteen, it's time to celebrate! And what better way to do that then with food? I know, I know, why would I celebrate not gaining weight with food? Because what kind of celebration doesn't have food involved somehow? Yeah, I can't think of anything either. Today's recipe of Strawberry, Brie, Basil, and Honey Crostinis comes courtesy of one of my best friends Souther, the one who made these for me in the first place! No doubt it was a recipe she found on Pinterest (I mean isn't everything cool these days found on Pinterest?) and used me as a guinea pig to try.


Needless to say they were amazing and I am now completely obsessed with the strawberry and basil flavor combination. It is beyond perfect for the summer months in my humble opinion. And if you know me at all, you'll know that I am also completely obsessed with cheeses. But not the typical American, Swiss, colby jack. No, more like havarti, muenster, sharp cheddar, gorgonzola, goat, and brie. Especially brie. See I grew up in a household that loved strong cheeses. It was pretty much in my DNA to like different, obscure cheeses. Probably because my family is made up of wine aficionados, and, I mean, what else would you eat with wine? So of course when I heard there was brie in this, I knew I would love it. Then came the strawberries, and the love doubled. Then the baguette, love tripled. The basil, love quadrupled. Then came the honey, and I was shot over the edge.



They completely lived up to my palate's expecations and went even beyond when I saw the recipe and realized I could make it myself. You all know I'm not the best cook in the world by any means, but when I saw this recipe I knew that even I could do it, and I did! I have to say they look really pretty, but that's probably because of Olivia's photography skills! I would recommend this recipe to anyone, especially those who need to expand their cheese tastes! Now let's start summer with a good taste in our mouths--literally! Time to celebrate the completion of another school year. And if you're not in school, time to celebrate a really good snack!

Here's how you do it:

Ingredients: (makes 12)

  • 12 thin slices of French baguette (sliced on diagonal)
  • 4 oz. brie cheese (light if you're a freak like me!), cut into 12 slices
  • 6 medium strawberries, sliced
  • 1 to 2 tsbp honey 
  • 4 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced 
Or, there's always the option to make as many as you can until your bread or brie runs out, which is what I've done whenever I make these!

Directions: 
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
  2. Lay the baguette slices on a baking sheet. Top each piece of baguette with a slice of brie cheese
  3. Bake in oven until the cheese is melted and the bread is toasted, 5 to 6 minutes
  4. Top each with 2 slices of strawberry, as much or little honey as you like, and a few slices of basil. Serve
Told you it was easy enough that I can handle it!




Big thanks to Souther for the recipe and Olivia for the ever-fabulous photos!

Cheers to the beginning of summer!
Morgan



1 comment: