April 17, 2013

#58 Frosting Fiasco

To continue with the whole food blogging thing, I figured I'd get in on the whole cupcake craze. As an avid watcher of Cupcake Wars (I watched all six seasons on Project Free TV in my dorm, I kid you not. Including the ones I'd already seen...), a frequent visitor of the famous Austin cupcake spots (Here's looking at you Hey Cupcake and Polkadots!), and just a general fan of the cupcake, I thought maybe I'd give baking cupcakes a shot. I decided to go with one of my favorite flavor combinations, chocolate and mint, and then I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best! 

It wasn't successful. Well I mean they turned out well and they were a somewhat of a hit with the birthday crowd I provided them for, but the baking process was pretty much a failure of epic proportions. Granted half of that was my fault because I decided to cut corners and use a cake mix instead of making one from scratch, but I stand by that decision because it would've yielded the same product--well actually it probably would've yielded a not-so-great product because something was bound to go wrong there!



But aside from the "I'm too lazy to make a cake from scratch" cake, the real failure was the frosting my friend Olivia (who takes all of the gorgeous food pictures on the blog for me!) and I attempted to make. I mean for starters, why would I have thought I could make frosting if I knew I couldn't make my own cake? Clearly logic went out the window here. Long story short, it was just not happening. And it only took us 20+ minutes with the mixer on, three sticks of butter, and six egg whites to figure that out. Like I said, it was a failure of epic proportions.

Around the halfway point of the frosting fiasco, I basically had a mental breakdown. My next door neighbor and great friend Bonnie came over in the midst of all the chaos and offered me a piece of wisdom that I feel is appropriate to share here. She saw my ugly butter frosting and said to me, "Morgan, you said you wanted to be a lifestyle blogger and failure is a part of life, so it's okay." Pretty spectacular, right? I thought so. Sometimes things just don't go the way we want them to, and that's perfectly okay. We just have to be able to take our mistakes and learn from them, careful not to repeat them again. Basically I learned to be extra careful when I attempt to make frosting next time and whenever you're freaking out, just talk to Bonnie!

And with her great lesson, I leave you with these pretty pictures of my cupcakes, but no recipe for them, because basically all you have to do to make them is buy a chocolate cake mix, bake that, and when your attempt to make homemade frosting fails, buy vanilla frosting and add some mint extract to it, but not too much because you don't want to be eating toothpaste. And if you're feeling really crazy you can add a little green food coloring to the frosting. Go wild! I only added a little because I didn't want it to be too wild, but that's up to you!



I really wish I were a better food blogger, but I guess I'll just take what I can get--in this case, a batch of pretty good cupcakes (considering everything was the opposite of "from scratch") and a life lesson!


Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment