July 31, 2012

#28 Given Technology a Break

Hello. My name is Morgan, and I am addicted to my cell phone. And my computer. And my Kindle. And Twitter. And Facebook. And to playing GodFinger on my phone. And to checking Twitter on my phone. And to taking pictures of my dog on my phone. Basically I'm a technology addict. And while, yes, I have technology to thank for a lot of the things in my life, (namely this very blog) I do wish I hadn't become so dependent on it. I know there are great advantages to being connected - I can google my questions and curiosities and have an instantaneous answer; I can find out what my friends are doing with the push of a button; I can connect to my readers in a way that would not have been possible years ago - but I also know that it comes with a price. I have a much shorter attention span than I would have if I didn't have this need to check every text that showed up on my phone the second it showed up. I'd forgotten how much I loved the touch and smell of a printed book until I bought one last week (and proceeded to become a hermit, finishing it in two days. Check out Where We Belong by Emily Giffin - great read). I have, many a time, wasted the day away watching Netflix. I could probably list things like this all day, but you get the picture. My point is, technology is ever-present in our lives, both to our aid and to our detriment.

What I propose on the matter is a break. A break from television, from your cell phone, from Facebook and Twitter. From all of it. Maybe just for a day, maybe even less. Just give yourself a break. There have been nights when I've put my phone on silent and left it in my room so that I don't pay any attention to it, and let me tell you, those are the best nights. Those are the nights when I reconnect with my mom and my sister and we just hang out. Those are the nights when my friends just show up unannounced and I'm surprised and happy to see them. Those are the nights.

Just recently I had to send thank you notes for graduation and it reminded me of how awesome hand-written sentiments are. There is nothing better than getting a written thank you or letter from someone else. I know I've talked about this before (see post #16), but it really is one of the best things in the world. Better than a Facebook post or a thank you text message.

Take a break from all your devices. I promise, it'll be okay. Everything will be there when you get back. Write a letter, read a book, hang out with your family. I can't guarantee that your friends will show up randomly, but here's hoping!


No comments:

Post a Comment