February 14, 2012

#13 Wished You a Happy Valentine's Day

Diverting from the usual "things I should've done" post, I just want to take a minute to wish you all a Happy Valentine's Day! Know that whether or not you have a valentine, someone out there loves you. So what if it's not the person you wish was your boyfriend or girlfriend? So what if it's just your mom or your Golden Retriever? There's nothing wrong with that. Love comes in many forms, and Valentine's Day is not exclusive to couples, I promise. My mom has been a consistent valentine for me, (except for last year, but you're forgiven mom) and I find absolutely no shame in that. The first happy Valentine's Day wish I gave went to my dog, Tex. So to all of the girls who think you're forever alone, you're not. There is always someone out there that loves you, no matter who you are. Instead of Valentine's Day being a "Hallmark Holiday" that has become all about buying chocolate and flowers, why don't we make it about simply being with the people we love and who love us? That sounds like a holiday to me. But even then, isn't every day a day to celebrate love? My mom and Tex love me even when it's not Valentine's Day. My family loves me when it's not Valentine's Day. My friends love me when it's not Valentine's Day. (Well at least I hope they do.) Every day is a day to show the people in your life that you love them, not just Valentine's Day. One of the things that makes human beings so special is that they have the ability to love, so why not take advantage of that in whatever way possible? It's okay not to have a boyfriend or girlfriend on February 14th because there are other ways to love that don't come in the form of a significant other. (That's not to say it isn't okay to be a part of a couple, of course.) Today, on Valentine's Day, love your parents; love your siblings; love your friends; love your dog; love everyone. You are lucky to be able to love period. Think about that today. Think about that everyday.


Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment